Felix Health Consent to Use Virtual Care Tools and Electronic Communications
I acknowledge and understand that despite recommendations that encryption software be used as a security mechanism when communicating via email, if I choose to email an Authorized Healthcare Professional or otherwise request that an Authorized Healthcare Professional interact with me over email, the Authorized Healthcare Professional may respond to me over unencrypted email (which may include my sensitive health information). Use of unencrypted technologies heightens the risks associated with the use of virtual care tools and electronic communication (as outlined in more detail below).
I acknowledge that either I or the Authorized Healthcare Professional may, at any time, withdraw the option of communicating electronically through the Felix Health Platform by closing my account, leaving the consultation or otherwise providing written notice.
Risks of using virtual care tools and electronic communication
The Authorized Healthcare Professional will use reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of information sent and received using the Felix Health Platform. However, because of the risks outlined below, the Authorized Healthcare Professional cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of information sent and received using the Felix Health Platform:
- Use of electronic communications to discuss sensitive information can increase the risk of such information being disclosed to third parties.
- Despite reasonable efforts to protect the privacy and security of information communicated through the Felix Health Platform, it is not possible to guarantee complete security of all information
- Employers and online services may have a legal right to inspect and keep electronic communications that pass through their system.
- Electronic communications can introduce malware into a computer system, and potentially damage or disrupt the computer, networks, and security settings.
- Electronic communications (particularly those that are unencrypted) can be misdirected, forwarded, intercepted, lost, circulated, stored, or even altered or changed without the knowledge or permission of the Authorized Healthcare Professional or the patient.
- Even after the sender and recipient have deleted copies of electronic communications, backup copies may exist on a computer system.
- Electronic communications may be disclosed in accordance with a duty to report or a court order.
- Some video conferencing platforms may be more open to interception than other forms of video conferencing.
If you choose to communicate with the Authorized Healthcare Professional over email (unencrypted or encrypted), you should be aware of the following additional risks:
- Email can more easily be misdirected or intercepted, resulting in increased risk of being received, accessed or viewed by unintended or unknown recipients. This risk is increased when using unencrypted technologies.
- Email can be easier to falsify than handwritten or signed hard copies. It is not feasible to verify the true identity of the sender, or to ensure that only the recipient can read the message once it has been sent.
Conditions of Using the Felix Health Platform
- While the Authorized Healthcare Professional will attempt to review and respond in a timely fashion to your electronic communications, the Authorized Healthcare Professional cannot guarantee that all electronic communications will be reviewed and responded to within any specific period of time. The Felix Health Platform is not to be used for medical emergencies or other time-sensitive matters.
- If your electronic communication requires or invites a response from the Authorized Healthcare Professional and you have not received a response within a reasonable time period, it is your responsibility to follow up to determine whether the intended recipient received the electronic communication and when the recipient will respond.
- Electronic communication is not an appropriate substitute for in-person or over-the-telephone communication or clinical examinations, where appropriate, or for attending the Emergency Department when needed. You are responsible for following up on the Authorized Healthcare Professional’s electronic communication and for scheduling appointments where warranted.
- Electronic communications concerning diagnosis or treatment may be printed or transcribed in full and made part of your medical record. Other individuals authorized to access the medical record, such as staff and billing personnel, may have access to those communications.
- The Authorized Healthcare Professional may forward electronic communications to staff and those involved in the delivery and administration of your care. The Authorized Healthcare Professional will not forward electronic communications to third parties, including family members, without your prior written consent, except as authorized or required by law.
- You agree to inform the Authorized Healthcare Professional of any types of information you do not want sent via the Felix Health Platform.
- Certain functionalities in the Felix Health Platform might not be used for therapeutic purposes or to communicate clinical information. Where applicable, the use of these functionalities will be limited to education, information, and administrative purposes.
- The Authorized Healthcare Professional is not responsible for information loss due to technical failures associated with the software or your internet service provider.
Instructions for communication using the Felix Health Platform
When communicating through the Felix Health Platform, you must:
- Reasonably limit or avoid using an employer’s or other third party’s computer.
- Conduct virtual care encounters in a private setting and using a secure device, where possible.
- Obtain the Authorized Healthcare Professional’s consent prior to making any recording of the virtual encounter.
- Inform the Authorized Healthcare Professional of any changes in your email address, mobile phone number, or other account information necessary to communicate via the Felix Health Platform.
- If you require immediate assistance, or if your condition appears serious or rapidly worsens, you should not rely on the Felix Health Platform. Rather, you should call a physician’s office or take other measures as appropriate, such as calling 911 or going to the nearest Emergency Department or urgent care clinic.
If you choose to communicate with the Authorized Healthcare Professional over email (unencrypted or encrypted), the following also applies:
- Include in the message’s subject line an appropriate description of the nature of the communication (e.g., “prescription renewal”), and your full name in the body of the message.
- Review all electronic communications to ensure they are clear and that all relevant information is provided before sending to the Authorized Healthcare Professional.
- Ensure the Authorized Healthcare Professional is aware when you receive an electronic communication from the Authorized Healthcare Professional, such as by a reply message or allowing “read receipts” to be sent.
- Take precautions to preserve the confidentiality of electronic communications, such as by using screen savers and safeguarding computer passwords.
- Withdraw consent only by email or other written communication to the Authorized Healthcare Professional.
- If you require immediate assistance, or if your condition appears serious or rapidly worsens, you should not reply through the Felix Health Platform. Rather, you should take other measures as appropriate, such as calling 911 or going to the nearest Emergency Department or urgent care clinic.
Nature and Scope of Healthcare Services
- Felix Health healthcare services are only available to individuals located in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, or Saskatchewan. As the rules regarding telehealth may differ among the provinces Felix Health operates in, the healthcare services that are available to you will depend on your province of residence and the location you are in at the time you request the services.
- You recognize that the Authorized Healthcare Professionals providing healthcare services on the Felix Health Platform do not have access to your full and complete medical record and are unable to physically examine you. By virtue of this limitation, they are relying on you to provide an accurate and honest description of your medical history, and report certain physical parameters when requested.
- As with any other healthcare consultation, no results can be guaranteed or assured in connection with healthcare services. Your Authorized Healthcare Professional may determine healthcare services are not appropriate for some or all of your treatment needs or that he or she is not permitted to provide the services you require and may elect not to provide healthcare services to you. Authorized Healthcare Professionals also have the discretion to discontinue the provision of healthcare services to you at any time and for any reason.
- The following symptoms are NOT eligible to be treated through the healthcare services: chest pains; difficulty breathing; fever in children under the age of 3 months; blackouts or feeling like you may blackout; any impairment in level of consciousness; stroke-like symptoms such as impaired sensation or paralysis to one side of your body; inability to speak or comprehend language; any abdominal pain severe enough that you are unable to comfortably walk.
- The Felix Health Platform cannot be used for emergency healthcare. If you believe that you are dealing with an emergency, you will call 911 immediately or attend your nearest Emergency Department or urgent care clinic. You agree that you will seek emergency help or follow-up care when recommended by an Authorized Healthcare Professional.
- Any prescriptions you acquire from an Authorized Healthcare Professional are solely for the personal use of the individual named on the prescription. You will fully and carefully read all provided product information and labels, and contact a licensed healthcare professional such as a physician, nurse practitioner, or pharmacist, if you have any questions regarding the prescription or medication.